1. Start with a mission statement- what do you want your blog to accomplish? Like most things in life, how much you get out of something, directly relates to how much you put into it. Decide how much time you are willing to put into your new blog and stick to it. Every blogger has his or her own method, whether it is a set schedule post or an “on-the-go” post. A rigid blogging schedule might help you to balance your work life and your personal life, whereas occasional inspired posts may result in your most creative work. With this being said, the hours you put into your work should be a labour of love, so don’t stretch yourself too thin. Keep in mind blogging should be a fun outlet, so don’t get too caught up in the amount of followers you have. Stay true to yourself and what you love, and the rest will follow.
2. Chose a name- picking a name for your website is a lot like shopping for a bag. Its best to chose something you love, because you will be spending a lot of time with it. Have a brainstorming session, bounce ideas off of those creative-minded people in your life, and do some research. Finding the perfect name for your blog sets your tone, and should encapsulate your personality. A simple blog name can be catchy and easy to remember, but don’t sell yourself short. Explore creative and unique blog names that set you apart, and draw your readers in.
3. Pick a platform- there are many on-line publishing tools you can create your blog on, so do some research and decide which platform you would like to use. Websites like Square Space and Word Press are great ways to create your own personal blog. With hundreds of online tutorials, both of these websites are very easy to navigate, and can help you create a beautifully organized blog. Another online platform that may be helpful is Tumblr. Tumblr is a great website to use when you are first starting out your blog, as it allows you to post photos, videos, and text, and can help you organize your blogs theme and aesthetic.
4. Work on your layout- Aesthetics of a website are extremely important, so take some time to work on the layout of your website. This can take either 5 minutes or 5 weeks, depending on how complex you make your design. Whether it’s creating your own DIY banner or hiring a web designer, your blog doesn’t have to be too fancy, just easy to navigate and eye catching! One of the benefits of a website like Square Space, is that it gives you the option to use a pre-made layout, which is an easy alternative for any not so creatively inclined women. It is also important to think about how you place your words. It is extremely beneficial to create a heading for each individual blog post, with a sub heading touching upon what the blog post will include. Using photos in between paragraphs is also a great way to break up your blog and keep it aesthetically pleasing to the reader.
5. Promote yourself and your brand- a successful blog is derived from love and passion, but it is quite hard to show people this passion if you are not promoting yourself! After you have created a few blog posts and feel confidant about your budding website, spread the word! Try to befriend other bloggers who interest you and explain why they inspire you. Ask them to have a look at your website and even give you some tips on how to better your site, what they like, and what they don’t. Connecting with fellow bloggers will put your blog on the map, so work on creating a twitter page or a Facebook page. These websites can attract viewers and start a conversation about your blog. Using hash tags is also a great way to get your blog known, allowing people to search for key words and phrases.
One of the most amazing aspects of creating your own blog is that is in fact, your own. Your blog should be your outlet for self-expression, a place to go where you can decompress and work on something you love. If you take the time to put these steps to use, your blog is sure to be a success.
If you would like more help, please join our Inspiring Creative Women Facebook group for weekly videos, advice and help from our amazing members, we look forward to getting to know you.
Please leave a comments below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Have a lovely week.