I found this amazing in-depth article on Shopify and wanted to share it with you.
50 ways to making your first sale, I have taken out the ones that are not relevant to us and listed the rest below.
Please refer to the link if you would like to see the full article, they also have links to extra help. Click here
I suggest that you study them all and research the ideas that you like.
1. Make Friends on Facebook: Do some research and learn how to get started with Facebook marketing - everything from crafting strategic status updates to create a Facebook page for your store.
2.Facebook add’s are effective but you don't have to pay for them at the beginning, there are ways to do this for free. Join Facebook Groups and look on business pages to make friends.
3. Network on LinkedIn: Find out how to strategically connect with people, complete your profile, think about what to post and how to leverage LinkedIn groups. It’ very important to look professional on LinkedIn!
3. Get Busy on Youtube: Discover how to sell with video, what video software to use, what kind of video content to produce. Having a YouTube channel can be one of the strongest marketing and sales tools you’ll ever own.
4. Spark Conversations on Twitter
5. Inspire with Pinterest: Pinterest can be a huge driver of traffic.
6. Work It on Instagram: Instagram is quickly becoming one of the best platforms for online store owners to build an audience with. The quality of the pictures are really important if you want to attract followers!
7. Tap Into Tumblr: Tumbler is a good platform for blogging.
8. You have to remember what platform is good for! For example Instagram is more about pictures whereas Twitter is more about opinions… You have to select the best social media platform for your business.
SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING
9. Get On Google Places: Google Places is Google’s answer to the good old yellow pages, and yes even if you haven't made a dime, you're going to want to be found on Google Places.
10. Get Search Engine Optimized (SEO): Search engine optimization (SEO) is often considered by some as the holy grail of Internet marketing.
11. Learn from Web Analytics: Analytics (for short) will show you what your customers are doing on your site, on which web pages they leave your site, and in some cases how long they have been a customer.
12. Get Product Reviews: This is the online guerrilla marketing method of PR. There is a unique benefit of getting product reviews from other websites that help increase brand credibility.
13. Write a Press Release: Learn how to be newsworthy and craft a press release that rises above the noise.
14. Pull a PR Stunt: PR stunts are the ancient version of the viral video. They are loads of fun and help bring tons of attention to your brand if executed well.
15. Sell a Unique and Newsworthy Product: Standing out from the crowd is one of the best ways to move merchandise. Especially if you’re in a crowded space where your competitors sell similar, if not the exact same products.
16. Create a Video: A video is an amazing tool to attract people. On the video you have to surprise, to be positive and to be interesting!
17. Start Your Own Blog: Starting a successful blog can be the easiest and cheapest way to attract thousands of new customers. All it comes down to is how well you can create valuable content for your readers.
18. Write a Controversial Blog Post: Creating controversy is one way to get your brand to race out in front of the masses and gather some serious consumer attention. But it has to be done carefully and artfully.
19. Build Your Email List: There's no question how important email marketing is when it comes to adding to your bottom line.
20. Pay for Google Adwords: No other advertising network will give you faster sales results than Adwords.
21. Buy Banner Ads: Banner ads can work magic when it comes to selling products online, but like every form of marketing, they have to be done right.
22. Promote Your Tweets on Twitter: Learn how to leverage Twitter's advertising platform to get your content in front of more people and increase your engagement on Twitter.
TAKE IT OFFLINE
23. Sell Wholesale to Other Retailers: You are allowing other businesses to take part in the marketing of your products. They will talk about your products to their customers and hopefully spread the word about it through their own internet marketing activities.
24. Take Your Business On the Road: A fun and productive way to see the rest of your country while looking to make that first sale.
I did this when I first started, I traveled to lots of county towns in England and visited the best boutiques. I was quite successful, lots of shops bought and rebought products.
25. Get a sales rep: Sometimes getting that first sale is a quick endeavor but sustainable growth in sales quickly makes you realize how tough it can be to be a one-person sales team, especially if your product requires a little more convincing than traditional consumer goods.
26. Get Going with Tradeshows: Trade shows can have a profound impact on your business, especially if you’re the manufacturer or source of your own products.
27. Distribute Flyers: Even with the popularity of internet marketing, flyers and direct mail are still effective ways to make sales.
28. Tell Family and Friends: Your network of friends and family will most likely be your easiest first sales. You may not want to sell to them, but this is a powerful way to kickstart word of mouth for your business. Ask your friends to like and follow you on social media!
29. Participate on Forums: Participating in online forums can be an amazing way to get your business in front of the right audience.
30. Demonstrate Trust and Security: A major hurdle all small online retail businesses have to face when they are just starting out is getting consumers to trust doing business with them. You need to make sure that your website appears trustworthy.
31. Delegate and Get Things Done: When you're first starting out, it feels like the entire world is on your shoulders. Decide which tasks to do yourself and which ones you should be delegating in order to run your business efficiently and maximize sales.
I hope you found this useful!
If you would like more help, please join our Inspiring Creative Women Facebook group for weekly videos, advice and help from our amazing members, we look forward to getting to know you.
Please leave a comments below and we will get back to you as soon as I can.
Have a lovely week.